Monday, August 1, 2011

Bowness Park



First of all, I have a confession. I haven't been writing over here as often as I should.

A) I've been busy.

B) I've been busy.

C) I've been lazy.

D) I've been writing over here more.

Basically, all that we really missed is I went to Folk Fest and I don't feel like writing all about that. It's too crazy and too much and the food was amazing and everyone should just go. Always. It's a must.

Yesterday I went to Bowness Park. I think it was my first time-- maybe. Anyway, I pretended it was. I've been aching to go there for about a year now and being that I am careless and I tend to date boys who prefer to stay indoors (my goal is to stop that because it's not working out for me)... I just haven't had a chance.

So my friend CW and I headed over there after a tasty brunch (I'll talk about that LATER) and went for a walk. Upon arriving I noticed that there were lagoons filled with family's in canoes and lovers in paddle boats. It was adorable.
Rental rates:
  • Canoe: $15/hour
  • Pedal boat: $20/half hour, $30/hr
  • valid photo i.d. and $20 deposit required on all rentals
  • half hour rentals only on busy weekends
When walking along the paths you shouldn't be surprised to cross a set of railroad tracks. Apparently, there is a mini train that chugs it's way around the park. It wasn't running when I was there but I want to go back to see it.

Miniature train:
Victoria Day weekend to Labour Day weekend (closed during winter season):
  • 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
  • 7 days/week
  • Train runs every 30 minutes
  • Cost: $3/person - 2 years and older, under 2 free
Bowness Park isn't like any other park in the city (that I am aware of), it is very people friendly. Regardless of who you are, as long as you are not allergic to air you'll find something to do. They have two places in which you can obtain things to fill your belly with.

Coffee shop:
Summer Hours: Victoria Day weekend to Thanksgiving weekend

  • 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • 7 days/week
Winter Hours: December to end of skating season (Closed from Thanksgiving to early December to prepare for the winter skating season) and first weekend in April to Victoria Day:
  • 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • 7 days/week

Ice cream shop:
Easter weekend to Thanksgiving weekend (closed during winter season):
  • 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • 7 days/week
I had a cookie from the Coffee Shop (classic chocolate chip, it was tasty!) and CW has a coffee. The pie looked amazing and they had a nice selection of posh looking loose tea. Much like what you might find venturing out to one of the tea houses in the city.

From the Ice Cream shop I picked up a Chocolate Milkshake, it was good. Basic little Ice Cream shop with other greasy treats... They have traditional junk food down pat!

In the winter time it sounds like they have a whole other situation on the go. Ice Skating.  You can bring your own or rent them if you like. How exciting is that! Nothing says romantic like an outdoor ice skate with the one you love.

Skate rentals:
Open during skating season only (typically mid December - mid March):
  • 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
  • 7 days/week

Rates:

  • $5/pair (size 1 and smaller), no time limit
  • $8/pair (size 2 and up), no time limit
  • half price rentals from 5 - 6 p.m.
  • skate sharpening - $7/pair
  • stabilization bars - $8/each, no time limit
  • valid photo i.d. is required for all rentals

A side from that, the park offers lots to do. Stoles, picture ops, BBQ areas with those outdoor grills that you can toast your hot dogs on. It's the ideal place for families, children, couples and even by your lonesome. During the summer they have yoga by the water. How wonderful is that?

If you haven't been, you must go. It's a nice way to enjoy the outdoors without driving too far and getting too dirty.

ON EDIT: The park is currently under-going some major changes. Here is what they currently have planned...
Bowness Park Redevelopment



City of Calgary Bowness Park info
Picture borrowed from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment